- Life member of the Association for Conflict Resolution
- Co-chair of the Family Law Section of the Boston Bar Association (2004-2006)
- Member of the former Special Legislative Commission on Divorce
- A founder and principal of Divorce Mediation Training Associates
- Former member of the Middlesex County Probate and Family Court Multi-door Courthouse Project
- Lecturer on family mediation at Boston College Law School and Suffolk Law School
- Trainer in divorce mediation for MCLE (Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc.)
- Chief organizer of the Gathering of New England Family Mediators
- Co-chair of the annual Family Law Conference of MCLE in 2007, 2008 and 2009
Recent professional emphasis has been on marital mediation, a process designed to produce written contracts between spouses wanting to strengthen their marriage.
Yale College, 1958, M.A.
Michigan Law School, 1961, LL.B.
Member, New York State bar, 1962
Member, Massachusetts bar, 1964
Associate at Winthrop, Stimson, Putnam & Roberts, NYC
Associate at Choate, Hall & Stewart, Boston
First Assistant Corporation Counsel, City of Boston
Executive Secretary, Supreme Judicial Court of Mass.
John has been a partner in Healy, Fiske, Richmond & Matthew, a Cambridge law firm concentrating in family law and mediation, since 1979. Prior to this he backpacked for a year with his family in Europe and Asia.
“Divorce Mediation as a Less Painful Path,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Sept. 24, 1979
“A Lawyer-Therapist Team as Mediator in a Marital Crisis,” co-authored with Janet Wiseman in Social Work, Nov. 1980
“An Enthralling Introduction to Divorce mediation,” Boston Bar Journal, Dec. 1981, p. 15
“Divorce mediation: An Attractive alternative to Advocacy,” Suffolk University Law Review, Spring, 1986, p. 55
“Mediation,” a chapter in the Massachusetts Family Law Manual, edited by Justice Haskell Freedman and published by Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education in 1987, updated in 1994, 1999 and 2005 [View chapter ]
“Family Mediation and a New Emphasis on ‘We’,” New England Journal of Human Services, Fall, 1988
“Public and Private Cooperation in Mediating Divorces in the Probate and Family Court,” Lawyers Weekly issue on mediation, Sept. 1988
“A Guide to Divorce Mediation,” Book Review, Lawyers Weekly, October 20, 1993
“Marital Mediation as Another Helpful Path,” Lawyers Weekly, Dec. 8, 1997
Frequent articles for the Family Mediation Quarterly of the Massachusetts Council on Family Mediation
Massachusetts Mediation Week Recognition Award (1999)
First winner of the John Adams Fiske Award for Excellence in Mediation (MCFM 2005)